Methyl folate (5 MTHF, L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate) Is a bio Active form of the important vitamin folic acid. With normal folic acid, conversion must take place via biochemical processes in the intestines and liver to convert into 5 MTHF, a process which some individuals are unable to achieve due to intestinal or liver dysfunction. Due to its bio active form, 5 MTHF is superior to other forms of folic acid supplementation, guaranteeing absorption and overcoming the ineffectiveness some individuals may have with folic acid.
Due to its methylation, 5 MTHF can function as a methyl donor, converting the amino acid homocysteine to methionine. Homocysteine is a bio marker for risk of cardiovascular disease which both methyl folic and methyl B12 have shown to reduce.
Methyl Folic is recommended for both men and woman looking to conceive to increase the cellular health of both sperm and egg. Use during pregnancy is also recommended to reduce incidence of low birth weight and neural tube defects.
- Folate contributes to maternal tissue growth during pregnancy
- Folate contributes to normal amino acid synthesis
- Folate contributes to normal blood formation
- Folate contributes to normal homocysteine metabolism
- Folate contributes to normal psychological function
- Folate contributes to the normal function of the immune system
- Folate contributes to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue
- Folate has a role in the process of cell division
Also known as: 5MTHF, Methyl Folate, Folate, L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolate, Methyltetrahydrofolate, Levomefolic acid