Pyridoxal-phosphate (pyridoxal-5'-phosphate or P5P), is the bio active or coenzyme form of vitamin B-6. P5P is a natural form of B6 which is utilised for efficiently for various functions including muscle growth and repair, neurotransmitter functions and energy metabolism. As a coenzyme, P5P also participates in many chemical reactions and catalyzes the conversion of many substances in your body. P5P plays an important role in the build and break down of amino acids from one form to another.
P5P has the ability to lower levels of homocysteine in the body, an amino acid which is a potential risk factor for cardiovascular disease, by reducing levels of methionine. Methionine is use in the production of homocysteine and by reducing this P5P can help protect the body from coronary heart disease, hypertension and cerebral vascular disease.
Supplementation of P5P may also improve brain function, especially those with autism.It is thought that people with autism are not good at processing vitamin B6 in the active P5P form. By taking P5P and avoiding the need for conversion of normal B6 into its active form via the liver, improvements are seen in cognition and social interaction. It may even play a role in preventing Parkinsons and Alzheimers disease by reduction of homocysteine.
- Vitamin B6 contributes to normal cysteine synthesis
- Vitamin B6 contributes to normal energy yielding metabolism
- Vitamin B6 contributes to normal functioning of the nervous system
- Vitamin B6 contributes to normal homocysteine metabolism
- Vitamin B6 contributes to normal protein and glycogen metabolism
- Vitamin B6 contributes to normal psychological function
- Vitamin B6 contributes to normal red blood cell formation
- Vitamin B6 contributes to the normal function of the immune system
- Vitamin B6 contributes to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue
- Vitamin B6 contributes to the regulation of normal hormonal activity